Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Leuchtturm1917 Master Notebook – Plain


So it seems that when it comes to notebooks, just like cars, computers, and McDonalds meal sizes, bigger is better. At least this is how I feel when I look at this amazing example I got from Notemaker. I was browsing their store, looking through the Leuchtturm pages when the name struck me. “Master”. And they aren’t joking, weighing in at 22.5cm x 31.5cm, and a hefty 233 pages, it is the opposite of “pocket”.


Here is the basic specifications: 233 pages, numbered with 4 empty index pages. 100GSM paper. Black hardcover, closure elastic, page marker, back pocket, lined and ruled guide-page, stickers for archiving, “Thanks for buying” card and a history booklet. It’s quite a bundle for a notebook.

While the size can be a problem for someone on the move, it’s perfect as a “desktop” book. Find a place it can live, such as a writing desk or workbench, and it is always there when you need it, with enough room for sketches, notes, plans, anything you can think of. You can see it here, open to the first page with my Rhodia A5 Webbie on top.



One of my favourite features is the numbered pages, and empty contents in the front. I had never heard of anything similar before, but it just makes perfect sense. I might even consider doing this manually with some of my other notebooks.
Somewhere during shipping there must have been a drop or a bash, and the bottom of the spine has taken it full force. The pages are slightly bent, and the cover material has torn. Luckily, it’s not too noticeable and there is no effect on usability.



The paper itself is said to be 100GSM and “Fountain Pen Friendly”. This confuses me a little, because it didn’t stand up too well to my writing test. I did most of the writing with my Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pen, and it seemed to bleed quite a bit. The writing experience itself was quite pleasant, however it wasn’t as smooth as Clairefontaine paper.



Another thing that kinda bugs me is the show-through. The writing test I did on the Rhodia webbie with 90gsm paper has very little show-through for everything except sharpies, however this paper seems to show through a lot more, and it is meant to be 100gsm. It might not be so noticable if writing in ballpoint or gel pens, but with fountain pens or sharpies, you will almost have to only write on one side of the page.


Problems aside, I still love the Master. The way it feels in your hands (plural, because it weighs a bunch!), the sheer vastness of the blank pages, and the extra included features make this my favourite notebook. I am really keen to put it through it’s paces and get planning my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment